Darryl Paa Kwesi Bannerman-Martin, popularly known as Joey B, is a Ghanaian hip-hop artiste, adored by many and also an inspiration to the youth. The rapper is well known for his single “Tonga”, dominated the airwaves with his mellow vibe music and a unique sense of fashion.
Here are some interesting facts about Joey B
- BBC named Joey B as one of the most influential artists to watch in Ghana in 2016
- Discovered his talent at age six
3 He founded a group at age six as a songwriter
4. He had his primary education at St. Theresa’s school
5. Attended Accra High School and continue to Zenith University College and graduated in 2012
6. His first hit song was “Tonga”
7. In July 2015, he was outdoored as the brand ambassador for Adidas making him the first in Africa.
8. He is one of the most influential fashion icon in Ghana due to his trendsetting skinny jeans and tattered clothing and cowboy hats.
9. He is from Cape Coast and a Fante
10. Joey B has collaborated with Fuse ODG, Sarkodie, EL, Edem, Pappy Kojo, Samini, King Promise among others.
11. He won New Artiste of the Year at the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards in 2014.
12. He derives his influence from the likes of Kanye West and Kid Cudi
13. He has over 18 singles and EPs, his mellow vibe music influenced Afro trap in Ghana.
14. Made his debut on Coke Studio Africa in 2017
Joey has never ceased to be creative and phenomenal in his music career. Aside from being supportive of other new artistes, his sense of simplicity has garnered him lots of respect over the years. Since Ghana is lucky to have him, we can only expect more from him.