Lemon is a citrus fruit with thick yellow/green skin and sour juice. It contains acidic juice that has antioxidant and cancer-fighting properties.
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, lemon contains a good amount of vitamin C, and minerals, including B-vitamins ( niacin, folate, thiamin, riboflavin) as well as potassium, zinc, and magnesium.
Here are some of the top 8 benefits of lemons;
1. Aids in digestion: Lemon juice significantly helps in digestion. Drinking lemon juice or water helps keep you hydrated, make you feel less bloated, relieve constipation and allow your body to naturally detoxify.
2. Helps in weight loss: Drinking lemon juice mixed with lukewarm water may help reduce body weight in people. Studies show that drinking lemon water with a meal reduces feelings of hunger, curb cravings and cut down on food intake.
3. Reduces Fever: Lemon juice can help in treating fever, cold, flu. It helps to reduce fevers by increasing perspiration.
4. Boosts Energy and Mood: Drinking lemon water can help boost your immune system and increase your energy levels.
5. Prevents Kidney Stones: Kidney stones is a condition caused by the formation of small, hard deposits made of salts and minerals in the kidneys. Kidney stones can affect any part of your urinary tract from kidneys to your bladder. But luckily, lemon contains citric acid, which helps increase urine volume which can help fight off kidney stones.
6. Gives a Glowing Skin: Lemon juice contains vitamin C, which has antioxidants properties that helps the skin to glow. Antioxidant found in lemon help fight free radical damage, making your skin to look fresh and glowing. Lemon also acts as an anti-aging remedy that helps reduce wrinkles and blackheads.
7. Hair: Lemon juice when applied to the scalp can treat hair problems like dandruff, hair loss and other problems related to scalp.
8. Dental care: Lemon contains vitamin C. Vitamin C helps cure gum infections. And also the citric acid in lemon stimulates the production of saliva that help fights off bad breath. You can also rinse your mouth with lemon water to have a fresh breath.
Evidently, citric flavours and scents also do have a calming and nostalgic effect on people. The next time you get your favourite air fresheners from the supermarket or shopping centers, do think of a citric flavour.