Stress is an emotional strain or tension caused by demanding circumstances.
Our environment, workplace and even our thoughts can make us stressful. Even positive life changes such as childbirth, promotion, and family life can produce stress.
1. Take a deep breath: Taking a deep breath gives a relaxing effect and calms you down. It also slows your heart rate, allowing you to feel more peaceful.
2. Laugh out loud: Laugh as hard as you can, watch a funny video, have a great chat with friends and family. The more you laugh the more you lower your body’s stress hormone and boosts brain chemicals called endorphins, which help your mood.
3. Listen to music: Listening to soothing music, especially the slow-paced instrumental music help you to relax, calm, lower blood pressure and heart rate as well as stress hormones. The next time you feel stressed; listen to good calming music to relieve stress.
4. Exercise: Exercise is very important and is one of the ways you can combat stress.
People who exercise regularly are less likely to experience stress or anxiety.
Exercising regularly can help lower stress and anxiety by releasing endorphins which improves your sleep and self-image.
5. Yoga: Yoga involves breath control, meditation, and body postures. This activity relaxes your whole body and improves your health.
It may help lower stress hormone levels and blood pressure.
6. Spend time with family and friends: Socialize with family and friends it helps relieve stress. Research shows that women especially when they spend time with friends and children, it helps release oxytocin, a natural stress reliever which helps calm their nerves. When you socialize and build a healthy relationship with people, it may help you get through stressful times and lower the risk of stress.
7. Cuddle: Positive physical contact with your loved one may help release a hormone called oxytocin which helps lower cortisol. This may also help lower blood pressure and heart rate, which are some of the contributing factors for stress.
8. Write in your journal: One way to release stress is to write in your diary. Especially when you write down the things you are grateful for. Write down your goals, achievements, strength, and weakness and focus on the positive.
Stress and anxiety can affect our health and should be taken seriously. We can be stressed with personal issues, at work and so on. But lets a take a break to do personal checks once and a while. You can practice mindfulness, exercise, and all the above-mentioned point to ease stress and live a balanced life.