Black Stars of Ghana will play against Benin today at the Ismailia Stadium at 8 pm.
Ghana Black Stars have won the Nations Cup four times.
However, the last time they were crowned champions was 37 years ago in Libya. Since then, they have lost three finals with the recent one in 2015, where they were beaten by Ivory Coast despite taking a 2-0 lead in the penalty shootout.
Benin has never played past the group stage of an AFCON tournament, while Ghana won four-times in the past.
But according to Ghana’s coach Kwesi Appiah, there will be no complacency from his side.
He added that “Modern football has changed and there is no way you can under-rate any team and every team is pushing, “But I believe in my players.
“I have full confidence in them and I know they will deliver.
“All the teams in our group are strong but the most important thing is preparing well to face them and that’s what we have done.”
Key Facts below;
- First time Ghana encounters Benin in the Africa Cup of Nations.
- Ghana is partaking in the AFCON 22nd times.
- Egypt (24) and Ivory Coast (23).
- Ghana won four of their first seven AFCON tournaments (1963, 1965, 1978, 1982) but have won none of their subsequent 14.
- Benin have lost 89 percent of their AFCON games (eight out of nine), the highest losing ratio of any team in the tournament.
- Since 2010, Andre Ayew has played more minutes (1990) and scored more goals (eight) than any other player in the Africa Cup of Nations.